This is a storytelling course for 10-13 year olds. And why do I say storytelling and not creative writing? Good question.
You see, creative writing courses typically focus on the same things: formal and informal letters, essays, books reports, email, short-form text (like social media posts), speech writing, and magazine and newspaper articles, to name a few. When I was looking around I even came across one that shows how to write a fax. A fax! “Come on, Marty, its time to go back to the future.”
But I really wanted wasn’t so much a course in creative writing; there is a ton of material out there. I wanted one that taught storytelling. And I couldn’t find anything I really liked.
I wanted something that my own children could work through, understand, implement, and execute. Create a story out of thin air. I wanted something that encouraged them to think deeply, and to look at the world around them in a certain way.
And here it is. Welcome to Daydreamers.
Each Lesson has an accompanying video, explanations, examples, and worksheets. And best of all, you can work through the materials yourself, or choose a mentored option, where I go through it with you.
How long is this course? Well, it is 6 Modules of 2 Lessons each. So that is 12 Lessons in total. How long you choose to take with it is entirely up to you. Perhaps you would like to do one Module a week, or perhaps only 1 Lesson per week. Again, that’s up to you.
What will be covered?
- We start with a simple planning process, about how to start thinking about your story and the direction you want it to go in;
- We think about our characters, who we want to be in the story. We will look at how to create them and how to develop them;
- We will look at setting: how to describe the setting and how to add action to it to make the setting move, to bring it to life;
- We will look at how to use paragraphs well, to split things up properly and move the story along from one place to the next in a logical way, so that it makes sense to the reader and is pleasing to them;
- We will look at plot and how to use dialogue; and
- We will learn how to end a story well. And when we are done, we will look at how to go back and edit the story, to tighten it up a little, check our spelling and grammar, and look for things that don’t make sense.
All in all, anything and everything that a Junior writer needs to move from being a Daydreamer into getting those ideas on paper.
If you’d like a sample of this course, then Lesson 1 is available to you free of charge! Just click here to access the Lesson video and Worksheet.
The course will be released in time for school in January, at the really cool introductory price of only R650! Soooo…sign up for my newsletter by requesting the Course Information Booklet above, and I will keep you in the loop with release dates.